Do you struggle to find time to floss and brush your teeth everyday? If so, and you have cosmetic dental implants, you might rethink your dental health habits. A cosmetic dental implant is an investment that is worth protecting. When certain preliminary precautions and post-surgery measures are taken, research shows that cosmetic dental implants have a 95-98% success rate and can last permanently. At Dobro Dental Implants in Gush Etzion, Beit Shemesh And Jerusalem, CO we want to ensure the long life of your cosmetic dental implant, not just the placement. The steps below outline some precautionary measures and general qualifications that increase the success of cosmetic dental implants.
Check for the following before dental implant placement:
1. Adequate bone density: Jawbone density gives the dental implant something to anchor to. Bone grafts and mini implants can sometimes be used for patients with inadequate bone mass.
2. No teeth grinding: Teeth grinding (bruxism) has been shown to decrease success rates in cosmetic dental implants. If you struggle with this, be sure to address this in your initial consultation so we can discuss your options.
3. Good oral health: Because the gums play a huge role in the dental implant healing process, it is important that you are not at risk for periodontal disease. Good oral hygiene habits (brushing, flossing, etc.) before surgery increase likelihood that you will maintain good oral health after surgery.
4. Good overall health: Poor overall health can negatively affect oral health, and therefore slow the cosmetic dental implant healing process. Smoking, drinking alcohol, and diabetes have proven to decrease likelihood of implant success.
Adhere to the following steps after dental implant placement:
1. Follow healing instructions: Your dental implant dentist at Dobro Dental Implants will give you a series of instructions for handling the implant healing period. Follow the advice you are given carefully to prevent dental implant failure.
2. Watch for uncharacteristic pain: Some pain and swelling is normal after the dental implant placement. However, if it gains in intensity or severity, contact our office right away.
3. Maintain overall health: Be sure you are eating a healthy diet, soft foods, and taking care of your body so that your cosmetic dental implant has optimal conditions for healing.
4. Avoid hard foods: Hard foods that might damage your natural teeth (ex. nut shells, ice, etc.) are also damaging to your cosmetic dental implants.
5. Preserve oral health: Excellent oral health is the #1 most important factor in cosmetic dental implant success. Taking a few extra minutes each day to floss and brush can save you lots of time, money, and disappointment from dental implant failure.
When cosmetic dental implants are placed under the right conditions and cared for properly, they have every reason to succeed and last permanently. To learn more about your tooth replacement options with cosmetic dental implants, contact Dobro Dental Implants in Gush Etzion, Beit Shemesh And Jerusalem, CO to schedule an initial consultation.